It is a long, expensive process to drive someone out of a company. But I have patience. And I’ll enjoy watching him suffer. He thinks he can do my job? Not a chance! I control if and when my employees shine. And I can make sure any opportunities bypass him. My options are limitless.
- I can shoot down and ignore his ideas;
- keep him off committees, meetings, and projects;
- and make him wait as I stall,
- raise hurdles,
- and forget.
- Yes, he’ll work according to my schedule.
- And I dare him to go around me!
It is the perfect punishment:
- He’ll go nowhere,
- left to rot in the same job,
- never to move up.
- I’ll dull his skills,
- sour his attitude,
- and leave him doubting himself.
- In other words, I’ll make him average.
Written by Jeff Schmitt