By: Denise N. Fyffe.
Copyright © 2013, Poetess Defy, Denise N. Fyffe
I am a lover of good food; but especially Chinese food. In Jamaica we are blessed to have a diverse cultural mix and Chinese restaurants in every town. This evening I had the wonderful opportunity to enjoy some Jamaican Chinese Food from Yaos Restaurant in Liguanea. I had Curry Lobster tail and Sweet and Sour Pork with Noodles.
I was surely not disappointed, as the contrasting sweet and peppery tastes had me devouring this exquisite Jamaican Chinese cuisine to its natural ending…in my tummy.
Below I have shared the recipe and pictures of these lovely dishes.
Sweet and Sour Pork Recipe
- 1/2 cup (70g) cornflour
- 1/3 cup (50g) plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbs water
- 500g pork scotch fillet, cut into 1.5cm pieces
- Oil, to fry
- Steamed rice, shallots and coriander leaves, to serve
- 1 tbs oil
- 1 green capsicum, chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 cup (115g) caster sugar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) white vinegar
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tbs cornflour
- 425g can pineapple pieces in natural juices, drained
For the sauce, heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the capsicum, carrot and garlic and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the sugar, vinegar, soy sauce and 1 cup (250ml) water until sugar dissolves. Combine the cornflour and 2 tbs water. Add to the pan and whisk until it comes to the boil. Simmer for 2 minutes. Stir in the pineapple. Set aside.
Combine the cornflour, plain flour, salt, eggs and 2 tbs water. Coat half the pork in the batter. Carefully deep fry in hot oil for 3-4 minutes until golden. Repeat.
Combine pork and sauce.
Curry Lobster Recipe
- 2 onions
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) olive oil
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) medium curry powder
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) unsweetened shredded coconut
- 250 ml (1 cup) coconut milk
- 4 lobsters, cooked, peeled and the meat cut into chunks
- Salt and pepper
In a food processor, purée the onion and garlic. In a skillet, soften the onion and garlic purée in the olive oil. Add the spices, coconut and cook for 1 minute. Add the coconut milk and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the lobster meat and heat thoroughly. Adjust the seasoning.