Here is the recipe for one of Jamaica’s favorite and most delectable cakes, The Jamaican Black Forest Cake.
This dessert will surely have you licking all ten fingers and asking for a second, third or fourth serving. Enjoy learning how to bake your own Jamaican Black Forest Cake.
Jamaican Recipe of the Day: Succulent Jamaican Black Forest Cake
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1-teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons browning
- 4 ounces cherries
- 1-teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons lime finely grated rind
- 8 ounces margarine or butter
- 4 ounces mixed peel
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 pound prunes (diced)
- 1-pound raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces sugar
- 1-teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups whipping cream
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 ½-cup wine
- To start preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Ensure that you have a large bowl which will be used to combine sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Beat vanilla, eggs, and wine in a separate container.
- Then add them to contents in the bowl, along with lime rind and mix together.
- Now add browning.
- Then fold in the flour along with everything.
- Add in spices, raisins, and fruits. Fold them in.
- Cover bottoms with waxed paper of two 9 inches, cake pans after you grease and flour them.
- Pour the mix into baking pans.
- Your baking time can range from one hour to 1 ½ hour.
- Test with a wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.
- When finished baking in the oven, loosen the edges of the cake and place on a flat surface so that it can cool sufficiently. Sprinkle with wine, to your liking. Leave to soak into the cake.
- Mix the leftover juice, sugar, in a separate pan. Ensure that while it is being heated the mix is continuously stirred. Once thick, remove from heat to cool adequately.
- Combine whipping cream and confectioner’s sugar in a chilled medium bowl. Beat with an electric mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Cut the cake in layers using a serrated knife. With a long serrated knife, split each cake layer horizontally in half. Tear one split layer into crumbs; set aside.
- You can use 1 1/2 cups of frosting to decorate the cake.
- Put one layer of the cake on the cake dish.
- Then add some frosting and cherry topping, if you prefer.
- Now add the second layer;
- Repeat adding the layers and cake for as many layers as you decided to have.
- Add frosting on side of the cake.
- You can add cherry topping or frosting on the top of the cake, as you desire.
Enjoy your succulent Jamaican Black Forest Cake!
Check out Jamaican Guidance Counsellor’s Handbook
The Jamaican Guidance Counsellor’s Handbook, introduces the Jamaican educational system and highlights the psychometric movement, the trait and factor theory as well as legislation that impacted the development of present guidelines and ethical standards. It also explores the counselling process, issues of school management, school organisational structure and several counselling techniques which are apt for the school setting. The book also examines the various roles and responsibilities of a Jamaican Guidance Counsellor and provides a list of resource centers in Jamaica.
Follow her on:
Copyright © 2019, Denise N. Fyffe, The Island Journal