I am a lover of good food, but especially Asian food. In Jamaica we are blessed to have a diverse cultural mix and Chinese restaurants in every town. This evening I had the wonderful opportunity to enjoy some Jamaican Chinese Food from Yaos Restaurant in Liguanea. I had Curry Lobster tail and Sweet and Sour Pork with Noodles.
I was surely not disappointed, as the contrasting sweet and peppery tastes had me devouring this exquisite Jamaican Chinese cuisine to its natural ending…in my tummy.
Curry Lobster, Sweet and Sour Pork with Noodles
By: Denise N. Fyffe
Below I have shared the recipe and pictures of these lovely dishes.
Sweet and Sour Pork Recipe
- 1/2 cup (70g) cornflour
- 1/3 cup (50g) plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbs water
- 500g pork scotch fillet, cut into 1.5cm pieces
- Oil, to fry
- Steamed rice, shallots and coriander leaves, to serve
- 1 tbs oil
- 1 green capsicum, chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 cup (115g) caster sugar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) white vinegar
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tbs cornflour
- 425g can pineapple pieces in natural juices, drained
For the sauce, heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the capsicum, carrot and garlic and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the sugar, vinegar, soy sauce and 1 cup (250ml) water until sugar dissolves. Combine the cornflour and 2 tbs water. Add to the pan and whisk until it comes to the boil. Simmer for 2 minutes. Stir in the pineapple. Set aside.
Combine the cornflour, plain flour, salt, eggs and 2 tbs water. Coat half the pork in the batter. Carefully deep fry in hot oil for 3-4 minutes until golden. Repeat.
Combine pork and sauce.
Curry Lobster Recipe
- 2 onions
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) olive oil
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) medium curry powder
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) unsweetened shredded coconut
- 250 ml (1 cup) coconut milk
- 4 lobsters, cooked, peeled and the meat cut into chunks
- Salt and pepper
In a food processor, purée the onion and garlic. In a skillet, soften the onion and garlic purée in the olive oil. Add the spices, coconut and cook for 1 minute. Add the coconut milk and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the lobster meat and heat thoroughly. Adjust the seasoning.
Copyright © 2019, Denise N. Fyffe