By: Denise N. Fyffe.
Copyright © 2012, Poetess Defy, Denise N. Fyffe
Jamaicans were in for a treat when they showed up in their thousands to experience the Jamaica Military Tattoo 2012 taking place at Up Park Camp. The visual and musical feast provided a plethora of cultural and military displays; including sea rescue, fire rescue, hostage rescue, house building, cadet display, bike display, paratroopers and bands.
According to the Jamaica Military Tattoo official website, “The Jamaica Military Tattoo 2012 will be held over four nights, running from the 28 June to 01 July at the JDF Polo Field in Up Park Camp. It promises four colorful nights of pomp, pageantry and military precision that will delight and amaze spectators, and will be talked about for years to come. Jamaica Military Tattoo 2012 will depict the historical perspective of the JDF from 1962 to the present, while projecting the Force’s future relevance. ”
I decided to attend the event and experience this spectacle for myself on the first night of this four night display – Thursday, June 28, 2012 to Sunday, July 1, 2012. The thought of watching a never before seen display, in my lifetime, was certainly thrilling. The grounds of Up Park Camp were large enough to accommodate the mass of islanders that showed up. Being a military event, it was well planned, guarded, and secure and no one had to worry about their vehicle being stolen.
Start time was 7:30 and the announcer for the Jamaica Military Tattoo event had everyone’s attention a few minutes before that. On time, the lights were dimmed and the drums and music of the Military band could be heard. The performances then captivated the audience, to the end of the event. In all there would be 850 performers from various arms of the local and international military and constabulary units. These included
- Jamaica Defence Force
- Jamaica Constabulary Force
- Jamaica Coast Guard
- Jamaica Fire Brigade
- Jamaica Combined Cadet Force
- Guyanese Defence Force Parachuting Team
- Jamaica Defence Force Military Band
- United Kingdom Military Band
- Canada Military Band
- Bermuda Military Band
- Trinidad and Tobago Military Band
- The United States Armed Forces – District of Columbia (DC) National Guard Band
- Jamaica National Trials 2012: Seeking emancipation for Veronica Campbell-Brown and Usain Bolt in 200m (theislandjournal.wordpress.com)
- Jamaica National Trials 2012: Esteem for Jamaican Sprinter, Asafa Powell (theislandjournal.wordpress.com)
- Jamaica National Trials 2012: Slow Bolt, Fast Beast and Limping Asafa (Yohan Blake, Usain Bolt and Asafa Powell) (theislandjournal.wordpress.com)
- The Jamaica Constitution (theislandjournal.wordpress.com)
- Burning the Political Fires, a flint of Olint (theislandjournal.wordpress.com)
- Jamaica National Trials 2012: Will Usain Bolt dominate or Asafa Powell take it? (theislandjournal.wordpress.com)