The Summer Olympic Games 2021 continues with the Athletics events being front and center. This seems to be the year for non-traditional countries to take the top spots. We saw Italy’s Jacobs taking the men’s 100 meters gold, with the USA’s Kerley in second and Canada in third with Andre De Grasse.
However, the race was flat and unimpressive. The excitement and build-up were no longer there. Furthermore, there was an obvious absence of Jamaican men, from this 100 meters final.
This has not happened in the last decade!
What Happened to the Jamaican Men?
This leaves us thinking about what has happened to the quality and cadre of athletes this year, 2021. Was Jamaica’s Usain Bolt the driving motivation for everyone else to perform? Or, does the global Covid-19 pandemic have some influence on the mediocre performances this year?
The Jamaican women have maintained the standard and continue to fly the Jamaican flag high. They have stayed dedicated and continue to train and perform well. This does not seem to be the case for their male counterparts and this must be examined closely to find the gaps and close them.
Usain Bolt has retired and the Jamaican men have not stepped up to pick up the mantle; rather they seemed to have stepped back and fallen by the wayside. However, we will continue to keep an eye on a young Seville who performed well in his semi-final race.
The Jamaican Athletics community needs to re-evaluate its succession strategies and prepare younger athletes to pick up the mantle when one generation leaves the sport. Let’s hope there are different outcomes at the World Championships.
Daily medal count and country rank at Tokyo 2020 Olympics.
- Day 2 – Tokyo Summer Olympics 2021: Country Rank and Medal Count
- Day 3 – Tokyo Summer Olympics 2021: Japan Leads Country Rank and China Leads Medal Count
- Day 4 – Tokyo Summer Olympics 2021: USA Has Most Medals Counted But Japan Still Leads Country Rank
- Day 5 – Tokyo Summer Olympics 2021: Russia Claws Up in Medals Count and Country Rank
- Day 6 – Tokyo Summer Olympics 2021: China Now Leading Country Rank and Medal Count
- Day 7 – Tokyo Summer Olympics 2021: Day 7 Country Rank and Medal Count
- Day 8 – Tokyo Summer Olympics 2021: Day 8 Country Rank and Medal Count
- Day 9 – Tokyo Summer Olympics 2021: Day 9 Country Rank and Medal Count
Stay tuned for more from the Tokyo Summer Olympics 2021.
Check out her book The Caribbean Family
The family is the genesis of all societies. Every culture has its distinct rules by which a family is governed, and the Caribbean family is no exception. Those rules differ within each group; for the Indians, Chinese, and Africans. Making up most of the population in the Caribbean, African families have spawned several sub-units or types; some of which are unique to the African culture. This book explores each family type and their history within the Caribbean.
Available at all online book retailers and Amazon.com